Saturday, October 6, 2012

The child is dead.

What a classy devil!
The other day, my friend asked me what my favourite type of horror movie was. I told him that ghosts scare me the most, zombies satisfy my gore-tooth, but I also really like movies about Satan. The only problem is is that I haven't really seen any...good movies about Satan.
     The Omen (1976) is one of the few that is good, if not great. While it did not contain a virgin girl breaking her own bones so that she may tie herself in knots (a huge plus in any Satanic verse), Damien, our reincarnate of Satan, is an evil, evil child. He was a more subtle Satan, I would say, since his parents didn't immediately jump to the conclusion of having an exorcism performed. Instead, he frightened and agitated animals, made people commit suicide, and attempted (and follow through) with murdering his own family members. Friggen rad, if you ask me. Harvey Stephens performance was incredible for a young boy. With virtually no lines, his main acting was with facial expressions and body language. Oh, and screaming. It's a great way to not have to go to church.
     The zoo scene was the scariest for me. Scaring off the giraffes is one thing, but having your car attacked by a pack of angry baboons? I can't think of any other animal so vile as a monkey. I can't stand them as creatures. Of course they are evil. They are disgusting creatures. I hated that whole scene. Case closed.
Look at those cheeeeks! He's just too cute!
     Has anyone seen The Swimmer? I know, I know, easily the worst representation of Hell the world has ever seen. But to anyone who has seen it, is the last scene, when he finds that house (with the weakest gate in the world in front of it) overgrown with vines, and a storm is crashing through...is that a direct reference to The Omen, or did something come before that? The two scenes are practically identical, save for the strange impaling of a priest. Speaking of deaths, the last character who dies has a surprisingly gruesome death. I didn't know the seventies had such horrors. 
     Here's to my sweet Satan.

1 comment: