Thursday, March 15, 2012

Five of Ten: Drive

From the moment I heard the title of this movie, I didn't want to see it. Then I saw the cover when my brother left it for me to watch while he was at work and I really didn't want to see it. I figured it would be a movie about some dude in a stupid leather jacket wearing stupid shades doing stupid stunts in his stupid car, the camera taking an occasional break to show a sweet set of plastic titties. Oh my god, I was so, so wrong. Let's begin the TOP 5.

     Drive
is an exceptional movie. I held my breath during the first scene. I held my breath during a lot of scenes. I was, and I didn't want to admit it to myself, but I was excited. Ryan Gosling, who I actually am not attracted to outside of this movie, plays quite the "mutha fuckin' fine ass pussy-mobile, mutha fucka!" (That line was applied to a car in the movie, but whatever) as the nameless driver. We'll call him The Driver, with a capital D.
     The Driver is a stunt-driver, mechanic, and most importantly a getaway driver. As a criminal, he never works with the same person twice. He allows his clients five minutes to get their job done, and what happens outside of his car just isn't his problem. And he's violent. Oh, he's violent. I can't explain it, but there's something about watching someone beating the shit out of a person with a hammer that just downright tickles me.
     I really don't know how to talk about this movie, or really want to talk about it for that matter. Readers, you just have to see it. I just don't want to spoil anything. The shots, the sunshine, and the scorpion. 
I will never know what love is because I am not her right now.
     Don't watch the trailer if you haven't seen it! It gives away too much of the scene as shown. This scene, which takes place in an elevator, is so, so very beautiful. Thinking about it now makes me upset. It was at this moment that I really fell in love with The Driver. He is such a beautiful character with the biggest heart. And don't you dare let him catch you saying otherwise. 
     Please, please see this movie. And when you do, watch his gloves. It might change the ending for you.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review! And tag. I, too, have a thing for killers. Natural Born Killers is the best romance in my book. But Drive was definitely an awesome movie, mainly because The Driver was such an interesting character. Once again, Gosling proves he can do no wrong. And I love Carey Mulligan. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never seen a Ryan Gosling movie before this, but Natural Born Killers is amazing! Certainly a couple I rooted for until the very end, and then beyond!

      Delete