Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ten of Ten: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

How can anyone not like this movie?

When I was 15, I actually had a very very personal experience with a French film that made me hate all French art, and I was determined to make this hatred burn forever. While I won't say what the experience was, or what the movie was for that matter, I will say that Michel Gondry's "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" cured me of these evil thoughts for good.

Hopefully, we all know the plot. It's the story of Joel and Clementine, two relatively ordinary people who fall in love, but their relationship just doesn't work out the way they had wanted it to. Joel, played fantastically by Jim Carrey (without a doubt his best role ever), seeks the aid of Lacuna, Inc., a company whose only service is to erase memories of loved ones. During the procedure, Joel begins to regret the decision, and attempts to give the technicians (who carry out their task in Joel's apartment while he sleeps) an off-the-map middle finger in order to save his memories (and his love) of Clementine.

Yes, the movie has a happy ending, but I feel that the ending isn't where the story ends. I assume Joel and Clementine are always going to be eternally falling in and out of love. I think the most important part of the movie, and certainly the most important part of a relationship, is the act of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment