Friday, March 16, 2012

Two of Ten: Primer


So, now onto one of the most complicated and intelligent movies I think I just might ever see. I saw this movie a few years ago with a group of friends. These kids are smart. Real smart. Engineers, physics majors, programmers, etc. In fact, every time I hang out with them, I always ask them to explain to me about something heavily mathematical. One day, I asked them all about time travel. After us just sort of talking about how cool it would be (the very basics of time travel are simple enough that there was no lesson to be taught), someone piped up.
     "Have you ever seen Primer?"

     Primer. Shane Carruth's 2004 masterpiece (and debut, yikes!). The plot? Two three-dollar-tie wearing dudes accidentally build a time machine in their garage. With time travel comes lots of possibilities (and time lines).
     My friends told me that no one could understand this movie. Now, whenever I hear about a cinematic challenge, I am more than happy to step up to the plate (you will certainly believe me when you read my Number One). So, cocking my head left and right, I announced that I was the smartest girl in the universe, and that no movie was too complicated for this brain. If you've seen the movie, you should find the humor in this. If you haven't seen the movie, know that I was as wrong as I have ever been in my life.   
Oh, you think you know. You think you know.
     My brother recently reviewed Primer, and it made me want to rewatch it. The second time around was a lot easier than the first time, but still made me punch myself in the skull to ease the pain. So I made it a resolution. I was going to understand the plot of Primer all the way through. There would never be a scene in which I didn't know exactly what timeline each character came from. That resolution? Well...
Two more viewings, ten pages of notes, about thirty index cards, and not a lot of sleep. The movie, clocking in at an hour and fifteen minutes, took me two and a half hours to watch the third time.
     But I get it. It's actually really easy to follow once you put the work into it.

You think there are blow-up mattresses in there?
     Why this movie made the top three: Primer is a movie you have to work for if you want to get it. And I mean, get it. Automatically, that makes every viewing of the movie more and more exciting. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Like, I actually feel rewarded when I watch it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment