Saturday, March 17, 2012

You want something hot and black inside of you?

This ship could kill every Enterprise,
every Star Destroyer, every everything.
Ever.
Event Horizon is a great example of how much better movies are when you don't know what they are about. Of course I had heard of the movie from just about everyone who is at least a day older than me, but I actually hadn't seen it until last month when I was visiting my brother for the first week of February. He's a huge believer in hard copies of movies, so there's a massive library of blu-rays that cover the walls of the guest bedroom. He always leaves his recommendations right by the tv in the mornings, and Event Horizon is one he's been leaving there for a while now. For some reason, it's really hard to get me to watch sci-fi movies, which is weird because I fucking love science-fiction. Anyway, long story short: I finally saw Event Horizon.
     You'll notice that sometimes I speak heavily about a movie's plot, and sometimes I don't. When I don't talk about the plot, it's because either a) I assume the readers know the plot, b)I don't want to spoil the plot, or c) if you don't know the plot I will honestly think less of you (because people think less of me all the time. It's only fair) So, here's a movie that I will honestly judge you if you haven't seen it, and secretly envy you because you get to see it for the first time.
     There's a line in the movie that best sums up my feelings for this movie: "Where have you been my whole life?" Event Horizon is scary. It's twisted. You know what? It's genius.
     WHO LIKES CINEMATOGRAPHY? I love cinematography! This movie is filled with really awesome, artistic shots thanks to the aid of a really sweet set. The thing about spaceship sets is that it's always a series of small rooms, with the occasional outside shot. Maybe it's because I'm a girl and have no sense of how large or small anything is, but I can never grasp just how large these ships really are. Event Horizon is the first time I've seen a ship that was so large on the inside, I was feeling a little agoraphobic. Weird, since this movie takes place lightyears away from civilization and the only thing surrounding them is pitch black, dead silent, infinite space. 

Lots of far-away shots make you feel so small in the depths of space.

I remember once in elementary school, we had an astronaut come to our class and tell us all about the wonders of outerspace. He told us about zero-gravity and how he got to pretend to be Superman, and about how hard it was to sleep because his pillow would float away, and then he talked to us..he talked to us about how there's no pressure in space. He showed us, using one of those squeezable clown things..you know, the little clown that when you squeeze its eyes bulge out of its head? The knowledge of the fact that I will explode in space has scared me for well over a decade now. On that note? Baby Bear's scene was really bad for me. Like, sometimes I hear him scream when I try to sleep bad.
     (Oh, another thing? You'll find that I rarely talk about soundtracks in movies because I usually just never remember them. I'm really not good at remembering sound at all. So, good. That's out of the way.)
     Irrelevant, but: have you ever read House of Leaves? Yeah. This is the cinematic equivalent.

1 comment:

  1. This almost makes me want to see this again.


    But then I remember, I hate pissing myself.

    ReplyDelete